top of page

Springfield House

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 22.20.31.png

A fine, tinted antique stone lithograph entitled, 'SPRINGFIELD HOUSE' Springfield Park, Liverpool.  Lithographed by H. Greenwood after William Gawin Herdman (1805-1882) and published by Maclure, Macdonald & Macgregor, Liverpool 1843 for 'Pictorial Relics of Ancient Liverpool'.  Springfield Park is located in the suburb of Knotty Ash.  Springfield was originally the estate and grounds of Springfield House, one of a number of wealthy properties on the outskirts of the city.  After a succession of owners, the estate was acquired in 1907 by Liverpool City corporation as a public amenity.  The house, which stood in the north-west corner of the park, and the lodge at the front entrance, are no longer standing.  

original (7).jpg

The History of the Park

Are you interested in local history? Springfield Park has a fascinating history. We are currently working with the Facebook group, Knotty Ash and Broad Green, History and Memories. Many thanks to James and the other administrators for working with us and allowing us to use their information and photographs.

Susan's Memories of the Park

Many thanks to Susan Richardson for permission to use her photos of the fun she had in Springfield Park when she was younger.  

Susan posted these photos in the Facebook Group - Knotty Ash and Broad Green History and Memories.

This is a lovely, friendly group with lots of information about the local area.

Does anyone else have photos of fun in the park?

Please email if you would like to share them with us.

Shared by James:

Springfield House during WW 1. Photo taken by the War department.


Here's another classic of Springfield Park in it's heyday

original (1).jpg

Here's a photo of a group of ladies watching something that is happening in the park.  It was taken around the time of WW1.

original (2).jpg

Springfield Park and Springfield House

Springfield Park was once the grounds of Springfield House, one of many expensive and out-of-town Victorian properties in the area. The park’s obelisk, a monument to Nelson, was intended as a gift to Liverpool from one of its residents. The man, a sugar merchant called Mr Downward, had his gift rejected (dismissed as a ‘half Nelson’ by some wag on the council). So he decided to put it up in his own back garden, this being the grounds of Springfield Park. In 1907 the park was bought by the city council for £14,000, and it’s been a public space ever since.​


Information and map taken from

original (2).png
bottom of page